HOF Bylaws Wildcat_Open Contact
1997 Wrestling Team


Warren P. Knowles, Jr.

Warren P. Knowles, Jr. was born on Aug. 19, 1908, in River Falls to father, Warren P. Knowles, and mother, Anna D. Knowles.

During his high-school career he lettered in football and basketball twice, was in "R" club for two years, student council and glee club for one year each, and was the class president his senior year.

After graduating from River Falls High School in 1926, he then attended Carleton College where he received his bachelor's degree. After getting his bachelor's degree he attended the University of Wisconsin Law School where he earned his law degree.

After graduating from the University of Wisconsin Law School he moved to New Richmond and started his law practice, Doar and Knowles. This law practice lasted from 1933 to 1955, when he resigned to focus on his political practices.

Knowles was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate in 1940, and became Majority leader in 1943. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Nevada during World War II.

Following his military service he returned to the Wisconsin State Senate and was elected Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin in 1954, 1956 and 1960. He was elected Governor of Wisconsin in 1964, re-elected in 1966 and elected to a third term in 1968 before retiring on Jan. 4, 1971.

Shortly after Knowles was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate, he married Dorothy Guidry in 1943, but after 25 years they decided upon a divorce.

Although Warren Knowles had no children of his own, he raised a foster son, by the name of Ron Auringer, who served as a pilot for Eastern Airlines for 26 years.

In 1971 Knowles decided to retire, but he continued to be involved with the Department of Natural Resources and preservation of Wisconsin's natural resources.

After retiring, Knowles was elected chairman of the Heritage Wisconsin Corporation, where he dealt with Heritage Bank, Newton funds, and Marshall funds.

Warren passed away doing what he loved. At the annual Governor's Fishing Tournament in 1993 on Lake Arbutus, he suffered a heart attack after a long day of fishing.